Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Wow.... that's F**ked up! (August: Osage County)


I think I've heard the phrase "That's F**ked" more times in the past week and a half, then I've heard it my whole life.

I saw August: Osage County last night. The phrase was used by many members of the Weston clan to describe their family. And they are right.

The play, a Broadway transfer from Chicago's Steppenwolf Theatre, the play is a three and a half hour epic about a family that comes together after the death of the father. Let me tell you, this family has more problems then most. Throughout the course of the night, I think I saw 2, maybe 3 marriages end, drug abuse by a grandma and granddaughter, suicide, unspeakable sordid relations, and molestation. (That's F**ked up!!!)

It almost reminded me of the first season of Brothers and Sisters. The Walker family on that show go through a family crisis every episode; a crisis so big that their very lives seem to hang in the balance every week.

But the best part of August is that despite all the breaking dishes, cursing and drama the show is the funniest thing I've seen in a while!

Most of the laughter comes from being uncomfortable, a mother saying something a mother should never say to a daughter or visa versa. But there were some genuinely funny moments. I guess with a family this crazy it's bound to happen. Sort of like a "My Big Fat W.A.S.P. Funeral."

I don't mean to cheapen it by comparing it to Brothers and Sisters and My Big Fat Greek Wedding. This show features some of the best acting and the best playwrighting I've seen in a while.

Tracy Letts (Bug, Killer Joe) has crafted a play that lets every actor shine. It was a true ensemble piece with every actor creating a deep and full character. And despite the play being three and a half hours with two intermissions, it is extremely tight and flies by! There isn't anything that could be cut. It is a great play, and I know it is for sure in the running for Best Play of the Year Tony.

This is a play I very strongly recommend. Go see it. And there is no excuse, while I student rushed it and got great seats, the last three rows are on sale and available for reservation for $26.50 which is about as cheap as Broadway gets. The play was just extended through April (no doubt a chance to give more Tony voters a chance to see it.)

This really is the play of the season.



I'm going to go see Sunday in the Park with George next Tuesday, and hopefully November on Saturday. So look out for those entries soon! Until then....

5 comments:

Knight said...

I loved this play. I didn't understand a word of the opening scene because the old people wouldn't sit down and the actor kept screaming random words but from then on I was completely captivated.

Alex! said...

that is so funny... the beginning of the play was not good for me either. There was major sound problems with these awful interference noises over the speakers for like 10 minutes... then there were about 4 parties that came in late and were just wandering in the dark without an usher in site to help them...

A. said...

I've been meaning to go see this show forever and I had no idea they had seats that cheap! Definitely on the agenda for next week...

NYCeCe said...

I second a.

50 foot rule is the perfect name...perfect!

Unknown said...

I thought you might like this link... it's video from TONS of shows. Enjoy

http://www.bluegobo.com/